I went to a public lecture last night on the question ‘How do we balance freedom of speech and religious sensitivity?’. It featured four distinguished academics ‘exploring legal, philosophical and cultural perspectives’. I was interested to go because I couldn’t think of any reason the ‘balance’ should be a jot away from free speech on this one, and I thought if smart people thought it worth discussing, there might be arguments I haven’t heard.
Other recent posts
- Strong stances
- Worth keeping
- Are ethical asymmetries from property rights?
- Personal relationships with goodness
- Realistic thought experiments
- The fundamental complementarity of consciousness and work
- Strengthening the foundations under the Overton Window without moving it
- Person-moment affecting views
- Replacing expensive costly signals
- The Principled Intelligence Hypothesis