A popular explanation of why it’s worse to seem stupid than lazy is that lazy seems like more of a choice, so not permanent. Similarly it seems more admired and desired to have innate artistic talent than to try hard despite being less naturally good. Being unable to stand by and let a tragedy occur (‘I had no choice!’) is more virtuous than making a calm, reasoned decision to avoid a tragedy.
- Misalignment and misuse: whose values are manifest?
- Tweet markets for impersonal truth tracking?
- Automated intelligence is not AI
- Whence the symptoms of social media?
- But what kinds of puppets are we?
- Yet another world spirit sock puppet
- The bads of ads
- Pieces of time
- Ethical experimentation
- For the metaphors