A popular explanation of why it’s worse to seem stupid than lazy is that lazy seems like more of a choice, so not permanent. Similarly it seems more admired and desired to have innate artistic talent than to try hard despite being less naturally good. Being unable to stand by and let a tragedy occur (‘I had no choice!’) is more virtuous than making a calm, reasoned decision to avoid a tragedy.
- Why do people avoid vaccination?
- Punishing the good
- Typology of blog posts that don’t always add anything clear and insightful
- The ecology of conviction
- In balance and flux
- What is going on in the world?
- Opposite attractions
- What is it good for? But actually?
- Unexplored modes of language